Sunday, November 3, 2013

RBC Scholarship Reception

On Tuesday October 29th, I was invited to a scholarship Reception in the Community Room in the Library. I was actually really excited to meet who was this amazing person that had given me this scholarship. When entering the community room I am given my name tag that contained my name and the name of the Scholarship I had received which was “Dr. Bruce Weekly Scholarship”. I came in and served myself some food that was given and I was looking for a name tag that read Dr. Bruce Weekly but didn't seem to have much luck to find him. After a few minutes I got some help to find my donor. To my surprise it was a very nice lady instead of the man I was searching for. She then later informed me that Dr. Bruce Weekly was her brother that had passed away a few years. She also mentioned how his first school was Richard Bland and then he transferred to VCU to become a Vet and also got his Ph.D in Pharmacology and that he always wanted to give back to the school where he came from. I felt really honored that I got to be one of the people that he donated a scholarship to. I was so glad that I went to this reception, because it really made me feel thankful for what I had received and also have in mind that maybe this can be a goal for me. When I become a doctor do the same and donate a scholarship to the school where I started from. 

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting the scholarship. I think that it was really nice that she named the scholarship after her brother. I think it's really cool that when you become successful you would want to give back to the place that you started from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jocelyn,
    Congrats on your scholarship. Did you apply for the scholarship? Or were you just given it? I've had a hard time finding scholarships lately. Keep up the good work and good luck in becoming a doctor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!
      Yes, I did apply for it. Student affairs has a list of scholarships that you can apply for maybe you can ask them :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your scholarship and your accomplishments! I was invited to the reception as well, but unfortunately I couldn't attend. I am looking forward to writing my donor a note of thanks though. It's always nice hearing stories about why certain scholarships are created. It's inspirational. Good luck to your future!

    ReplyDelete