Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Cask of Amontillado

This reading was very dark and very interesting to read, many questions came to me as I kept going along. First of all how can someone be so vindictive enough to kill someone just because they offended you numerous times? I would understand if he had committed an awful act towards you but not just by saying a few words. Well in this story Edgar Allan Poe mysteriously hides the words that Fortunato had said to Montresor that had offended him a whole lot that it got to the point of assassinating Fortunato.  We could only make assumptions of the insults that Fortunato had said to Montresor; one of them was the way that Fortunato told Montresor that his family used to be very noble, basically stating that they are not noble at all anymore. Another insult I found was that when they were walking towards Fortunato’s death Montresor tells him that he used to be a Mason which is a Fraternity. But of course Fortunato does not believe him since he made a Mason hand gesture and Montresor was not able to recognize it. Why do you think that the author hides the insults that caused Montresor to kill Fortunato?  Why do you think Montresor commits this terrible act towards Fortunato? Do you think it goes far along more than just insults? 

1 comment:

  1. I think it goes more than insults! I couldnt wrap my head around how he was so mad about an insult that he could take away a persons life! Thats uncalled for! If that was the case with everyone im pretty sure our death rate would be sky high and im sure I would have killed a person or two if every time someone insulted me I would kill them like Montresor did! He was just a crazy man!

    ReplyDelete